Sunday, January 4, 2015

My Substitute Teacher Must Haves!

Here is a list of must haves that I bring with me on a typical day of substitute teaching!

I have a medium sized tote bag that I bring all of my must haves in.
I also bring a tumbler to keep hydrated throughout the day and my Lilly Pulitzer Lunch Break tote.

In the outside pockets of my tote I bring:
A small pack of tissues.
Hand sanitizer. 
My pocket agenda/planner.
Inside of my tote I bring:
Mad Libs (this is a fun time filler!).
Super Sub: A Must-have Handbook for Substitute Teachers by Cary Seeman
(I have not needed to use this yet, but it is filled with easy lessons for all subjects grades k-6!)
Read Aloud books.
My Substitute Binder.
My Substitute Binder is where I keep everything that gets me through the day!
Inside I include:
My name tag. 
I printed out a name tag on Word Document, laminated it and hang it on the front board with a magnetic clip.

Extra paper. 
I use this for a lot of different things! One of my favorite uses is to jot down any really good ideas I come across while subbing in a classroom.
A job chart.
 I made a chart on Word Document so I can track each job I have had. I am currently subbing at a few different schools so I mark down the date, school and times.
Extra activities.I typed up a few lists of riddles, idioms, and other activities that I can use if we finish our lessons early.

Stop sign cards. 

Stickers.
I sometimes give these out for good behavior or for winners if we play a game.
Shout Outs! 
I got these from Teacher to the Core on TPT.
There are over 80 recognition cards to use!
I use these with younger students who have showed great behavior throughout the day.
They love them!! :)


Birthday Print Out.
I made a small birthday day print out that I can give to students from me, as well as a small gift. (Eraser, pencil, note pad, etc.)
A folder.
 I use this to keep my Sub Notes and Behavior Notice sheets.
Behavior Notice Sheet. 
Usually students do not get too out of hand, but just in case they do I have made a Behavior Notice Sheet that I can pass out to students who refuse to cooperate. I allow students to fill out the paper on their own, that way they can assess their behavior. I leave the note for their teacher & give the teacher the choice of sending the note home or not. (I typically only use this with 5th & 6th grade.)
A Note From the Substitute Teacher.
  I made a brief note on Word Document and print them out on pretty paper from Dollar Tree!


Also inside the binder I have a 3 ring pencil case which includes:
Colored pens. I use these to grade any papers that the class finished during the day.
Pencils.
 I cannot tell you how many times students have come to me telling me they do not have a pencil! Of course I always make sure to get them back at the end of the day!) & I also use these to mark attendance.
Pencil sharpener. 
Self explanatory.
Sticky notes.
 At the end of the day I like to leave notes/piles for the teacher to keep things organized. (“Extra Copies” “Notes for you” etc.)
Highlighters and Sharpies. 
Just in case, you never know when you might need one!
Black Pens.
Paper Clips.

Magnetic Clips. 
I use this to hang my name tag on the front board.

Prizes.
These are a few I picked up at Targets $1 spot.
(Pencils, erasers, note pads, small toys)
I typically use these to give to a student if it is their birthday, or to give to the winner/s if we play a review game.
(I have a separate pencil case that I keep these in)
I think that's everything!

If you have any other must haves leave them in a comment below!

Thank you for reading! :) Happy teaching!



                                                                                                    
                                                                                                        Katie

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! I love all of these suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! Glad they can help you!

      Delete
  2. White board markers....you don't always know where the classroom teacher keeps hers and a timer from dollar tree.

    ReplyDelete